Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Voting in primaries

Here (Waterbury Rep-Am, by Chris Gardner) is an interesting article on voting in CTs primaries.

If you're unaware... if you want to vote in a party primary, you must be registered with that party to vote. And for CTs 2006 primary elections, that means you must be registered as either a Republican or a Democrat on Tuesday August 8. And you may not register with both parties.

If you are currently registered with a party (Repub, Dem, Green, Libertarian, Concerned Citizens, Working Families, etc.), then it is too late for you to register with another party and be eligible to vote on Tuesday August 8.

However, if you are registered as an unaffiliated voter (often referred to as "independent"), then you are eligible to register as either a Republican or a Democrat up until (I believe) noon on Monday August 7 and still vote in the following day's primary.

One interesting note for me, I had one person tell me that he and his wife were both unaffiliated voters. He then asked me how he could register for both the Democratic and Republican (to vote for me) primaries. I told him that he could only register (and vote) with one of the two parties. He said they would register as Republicans and vote for me... which was nice to hear. So, although the thought never crossed my mind... I'm having an indirect impact on the Lamont/Lieberman race. (I can't believe it will have a real impact though. I've been convinced for a while that Lamont is going to win on August 8. Although there are a good number of unaffiliated voters who are registering as Dems to vote for Lieberman. I believe their support is not yet measured in any polls. And another side note... I wonder which of the two gubernatorial candidates will be able to capitalize on the people turning out for the Senate race, yet have no serious interest in the Gubernatorial race and they will be walking into the voting booth still undecided on Destefano/Malloy?)

If you live in the 89th district and are unaffiliated, I strongly encourage you to register with a party... preferably the Republican party (just call your Town Hall... Richard Abbate in Cheshire at 271-6680) and, if you do... then I hope I can have your support on Tuesday August 8.

Tim White
State Representative candidate
Bethany, Cheshire & Prospect
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. I want to represent all in the 89th........why do you only list the registrar for cheshire.....would it take that much to list the Bethany and Prospect info too..........come on and represent all people in the district.....maybe this will be a good dress rehearsal.....

Tim White said...

3towns... sorry about that. So you know, mentioning Richard Abbate was unrelated to Cheshire. The reason I mentioned him was that he's running for SOTS.

Nonetheless, your comment is fair. So here's the details on all registrars:

Bethany - Will Brinton (R)
Marion Ash (D)

Cheshire - Richard Abbate (R)
Aleta Looker (D)

Prospect - Kathleen Vander Eyk (R)
Katherine S. Blinstrubas (D)

phone numbers:
Bethany Town Hall 393-2100
Cheshire Registrars office 271-6680
Prospect Town Hall 758-4461

I hope that is helpful. And I sincerely apologize. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else for that matter.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the response, you definitely have my vote!!!

Tim White said...

3towns... thank you for your support.