Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Request for debate

I sent out this email to the Republican Town Committee members (Bethany, Cheshire & Prospect) and the press today (July 18).

To: Republican Town Committee members (Bethany, Cheshire & Prospect)
Cc: various media outlets

Dear fellow Republican Town Committee member,

At the Republican 89th district convention on May 16, I challenged my opponent, Roger Kergaravat, to a debate to which he agreed.

But for the last two months, while I and others have tried to arrange a debate, he never seems to be available on any week night, only on weekends when the town buildings are closed, effectively precluding the possibility of a debate.

I've been clear all along -- I'm available to debate on just about any date, any time, day or night, at any place in the 89th district. I'm open to any format. I've provided him with every opportunity to debate.

After months of his rebuffing my attempts, I emailed him the letter (below) on July 8, asking him to arrange a debate. He did not respond. I finally called his house and left a message on July 15. Again, no response.

It's now obvious that Mr. Kergaravat is actively avoiding a debate with me, for reasons I could only conjecture. This is extremely troubling.

Republican voters absolutely deserve a public debate between the two primary candidates who are asking for their votes. The voters are entitled to know where he and I stand on the issues.

What will we do about taxes, costs of living, costs of gas and energy? Where do we stand on healthcare, prescription drugs, workman's comp and various costly state mandates, such as binding arbitration? How do we address unemployment, corruption, education, and problems of seniors? Which of us will be most electable in November against an entrenched incumbent? Who will most effectively represent our towns in Hartford? You, the voters, have a right to this debate. We, the candidates, have an obligation to give you this debate.

I've been most anxious, earnest, and flexible in trying to bring you this debate. My opponent has not been so earnest or flexible.

I strongly believe that a public debate between the two Republican candidates for the 89th seat can actually STRENGTHEN the party. I disagree with those who say that this primary disunites or weakens the party.

By testing both candidates, by making both candidates publicly address issues and campaign early in the process, the eventual primary winner can be strengthened going into the final election.

I intend to fully support the winner of the 89th Republican primary. Either one of us will be better than the entrenched incumbent. I believe that I'm the more effective, electable Republican candidate. So let's debate. Let Roger and I flush out the issues in front of you, then you decide.

I'm now appealing to you, members of the Bethany, Cheshire, and Prospect Republican Town Committees. I'm asking you to urge my opponent, Mr. Kergaravat, to step up to the plate and make himself available to debate as soon as possible. Whether you already support him, or support me, or are undecided, I hope you agree that WE NEED TO HAVE THIS DEBATE.

Again, I'm available on just about any date, any time, at any place in the 89th district. I'm open to any format. If Roger is most comfortable meeting in the Prospect Dairy Bar on a Saturday morning, I'll be there. I welcome anything you can do to bring him to the podium. The real winners of our debate will be the Republican Party and the voters of the 89th district.

Very sincerely yours,

TIM WHITE
Candidate for State Representative (R-89th)
member: Cheshire Town Council, and Cheshire RTC.
TimWhite98@yahoo.com


And here's the email that I sent to him on July 8, followed up by a phone call (and voicemail) that I made to him on July 15.

Roger,

Following the May 16th Republican convention for the 89th district, I suggested to you that we debate and you agreed. You then asked me to setup the debate and I agreed.

Since then, the League of Women Voters, at my request, has tried to set up a debate. However, due to a number of reasons, especially your lack of availability, the LWV has not been able to schedule a debate.

So now I ask you, would you be willing to set up a debate? Perhaps it would be easier for you to schedule a debate in Prospect. Obviously, it would need to be done through some independent party. That way the voters would have confidence in the impartiality of the debate organizers.

And obviously, we won't be able to debate on our respective Council nights. But I am otherwise available for a debate just about anytime, day or night, in any town in the 89th district. I'd hope you feel the same way since you’re asking the voters for their support. Can we please firm up a time and place within a week? I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Tim White

9 comments:

Tim White said...

As well, in the July issue of the Prospect Pages (on newsstands a couple of weeks ago), I was very clear about my desire for a debate.

Tim White said...

sorry... wrong link... here is the correct link.

Anonymous said...

To Tim White,

Some say you are distracting Roger Kergaravat from the main goal of defeating Ms. Nardello in November. But you’re 100% right that this primary and a debate could actually help the GOP primary winner against the Democrat.

This should be an opportunity for both candidates to sharpen their public exposure and campaign skills. Yet I’ve heard nothing from Roger, while Tim has visited and talked to me twice. Maybe Tim White really is the more “electible” Republican candidate in the 89th.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Republican, and I WANT A DEBATE between Tim and Roger before I vote on August 8 !

I can't understand why Roger wouldn't seize the chance to debate in front of the widest possible audience !!

Anonymous said...

maybe Roger (puppet for Robert Chatfield) feels he is above that and doesn't need to debate.....after all, if mayor bob says you don't have to debate, well......you know the rest.....

Anonymous said...

Tim - I think that you have upset Bob and Roger's plan. The Bob machine is working full time against you. He is full of himself, it is all about Bob and his ego. They will never debate you out of fear that they would be exposed. Anyone with half a brain would realize that most of Vicki's support is in Cheshire and you would eat away at that.

I wish you the best in the primary.

Anonymous said...

At last night's Bethany Republican town committee meeting (7/19), Tim White spoke and answered our questions. Roger Kergaravat only sent a letter saying he still refuses to debate White. I had been undecided, but now it's clear that Tim White is the stronger Republican in the 89th race.

Anonymous said...

so now kergaravat has flatly told the Bethany RTC that he will not debate Tim White....reminds me of what Winston Churchill said about his inept opponent, clement atlee: "he's a modest man who has very much to be modest about."

Tim, you're looking Churchillian!

Tim White said...

anon 1:46... Churchillian?? wow... that's all I can say. Thank you so much for your kind words.