Saturday, October 07, 2006

Bethany vs. Cheshire!

The Bethany / Cheshire Clean Energy Competition is officially underway (Cheshire Herald, by Leslie Hutchison). Competing for horseback riding (if Cheshire wins) or ten free one-day passes to the Cheshire Pool (if Bethany wins), both towns are energizing themselves for some action! haha....

Personally, I'm not too concerned who wins this competition. And I've been saying that to reporters. I've told them that the goal of the competition is not to win, but to increase public awareness... And it's definitely working.

I was recently knocking on doors in Prospect and had a young couple tell me that they recently signed up for 20% by 2010. The reason? They saw an article in the Waterbury Rep-Am. The article was about the competition between our two towns! So I know firsthand that the goal is being achieved. To me, it's proof positive that use of the "bully pulpit" can make a positive impact.

If you'd like to sign up for clean energy, click here.

Alternatively, if you'd just like to save money on your electric bill, click here. I used this company (Levco) for several years before I switched to clean energy in 2005.

And of course, I'd like to thank the townspeople who made this competition possible. Bethany's Clean Energy Task Force includes George Benedetti (Co-Chair), Mike Okrent (Co-Chair), Katie Shultz, Lee Grannis, Tom Poland and Isabel Kearns. And Cheshire's Energy Commission includes Rich Ogurick (Chair), Carol Wilson (Vice Chair), Bill Kunde, Ira Kushner, Dave Ljungquist, Marty Roach, George Neuwatne and Jerry Sitko. And last, but certainly not least, Ann Lehman of Bethany. She's the kind soul who graciously donated some horseback riding for the cause. Without the help of all of these volunteers, this wouldn't have happened. Thanks to all of you especially!

Tim White
State Rep candidate
Bethany, Cheshire & Prospect
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

UPDATE: And here is an article that ran in today's (Oct 8) NH Register (by Chris Rhatigan) on the increased participation of Nutmeggers in the 20% by 2010 campaign.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim
How are we going to save money if we go to a defined contribution plan. I heard that it will be someting like 24 years before we get money back once we switch over. I thought you were fiscal conservative! That does not sound like a FC to me