Thursday, April 06, 2006

News Crews Everywhere

I work in Bridgeport and saw the Presidential motorcade go by today: 22 cars/SUVs and a half dozen motorcycles or so. I-95 was shutdown completely. I didn't watch The President's whole event on TV, but saw some and thought he made one very good point about healthcare. He felt a good example of how competition can benefit American healthcare was "Lasik eye surgery." His point was that over the past several years, Lasik has proliferated and simultaneously, services have improved and costs have dropped. Would this hold true for other aspects of healthcare? I'm not sure. But the premise makes sense to me. Any counterpoints on this? (articles from some of the local papers: http://www.rep-am.com/story.php?id=5150, http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CT_BUSH_CTOL-?SITE=CTNHR&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Then as I was driving home from the budget meeting tonight, I saw a TV news truck in front of CHS. They were there for ongoing investigations of threats of violence. Scary stuff. (check this out: http://www.wfsb.com/; and scroll down to "video headlines.")

And, finally, while there weren't any news crews around for this one last bit, I did sell my car today. So I continue to move ahead on that front. Hopefully I'll have my brand-spankin new Civic Hybrid in less than two weeks. (http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Civic+Hybrid) Love to plug the hybrids!

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim,

Well . . . perhaps the costs have gone down with Lasik in large part because the cost of the necessary equipment has gone down? Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately while Americans realise they need to obtain food and shelter on their own from a choice of willing providers, they tend to think it is someone's else job to pay their medical bills

Long ago, the system should have gone free market with "health stamps" issued to the needy ala food stamps or Section 8 housing vouchers, but I fear the horse is out of the barn now and running to Canada, the UK, or France