Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Budget mtg 4/5

We had another budget meeting tonight. The two main topics of discussion were healthcare benefits and budget adjustments. And although I could follow the discussion on bene's, I'm not even going to begin explaining it here. I'd do it no justice. I think the main thing here was that there seemed to be consensus among both staff and council members present that another $408,000 could be removed from this line item. (I believe this number is currently about $10,000,000 or so of the $87,000,000 proposed budget.)

Other budget adjustments discussed included:
1) $200,000 use of the general fund;
2) $25,000 in estimated conveyance tax "revenue." (As a taxpayer, I hate using that word... but it is used fairly commonly... so I accept it.);
3) $10,000 in Park & Rec fees;
4) $7,000 in police fees (false alarm fees and such, not speeding tickets... all that money goes directly to The State.)
5) $125,000 in investment income; and
6) $235,000 in state PILOT (Payment In Lieu Of Tax) money (this is money received from the taxpayers VIA the State Government for non-profit / non-taxable properties, such as the prison and Legionnairies).

So adding these to the bene's adjustment and the proposed budget increase is reduced $1,010,000. And for anyone who's counting, that adjustment moves the proposed 3.75% tax increase down 0.40 mills to 2.25%. And that's a start, but I still think we need to cut spending.

So where do we cut? Well, I think the pool is a perfect place to start. That's why town staff is working on some different cost-saving scenarios for me. Again, I doubt my idea will go anywhere with the Council (based on my own straw poll of the Council), but I still think it ought to happen.

As for cutting the school budget, I'm not sure what will happen with that. I hope there are some cuts. As I pointed out in one of my earliest posts on this blog, the BOE budget has fluff.

So it seems as though we, the taxpayers, may get a bit of a breather this year for a number of reasons and get a tax hike below 2% (let's keep our fingers crossed). But my sentiments are the same as they have been in the past. Each of the past two years I've stated that I'd like spending to be lower and taxes to be lower. But if you can't find five votes for something, it won't happen.

Anyway, considering the services (town side) that are being offered, I think a tax increase below 2% would be a decent attempt at the proverbial balancing act.

Tim White
Town Council, Budget Committee
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...perhaps a 2% tax increase? How many cups of coffee does that equate to? Or should I ask Liz?

I'd say a 0% increase would be even better - all things considered.

Anonymous said...

I read with interest the editorial in the Cheshire Herald written by the editor. He said there seemed to be less of an interest in the budget this year. Maybe because the State was giving the Town more money, maybe the overall economy was better.

The reason there were less people at the meetings this year is because there was or is no threat to reducing anything in the school system. Just start a rumor about the possibility od cutting a program, a sport or something else and all the educrats will be turning up.

Anonymous said...

It is nice to hear the increase may be less than anticipated. So far in this budget process I have yet to see any concentrated, thoughtful process by any government official or Bored of Education members to honestly attempt to reduce fixed costs. Our leaders do cut proposed increases in new services and proposed new fixed costs, but what about the existing fixed costs? Cutting something that does not exist yet is not cutting the budget.