Tuesday, April 04, 2006

GOP Primary Aug 8?

Could there be a Republican Primary in the offing in the 89th General Assembly district? Here's some voter demographics on the 89th:

Bethany: 1100 R; 800 D; 1800 Unaffiliated (~3750 reg'd voters)
Cheshire: 1263 R; 1257 D; 2923 U (~5450 registered voters)
Prospect: 1751 R; 1144 D; 2911 U (~5800 registered voters)

These numbers of registered voters vary both in source and in date, but I believe they are fairly accurate. So the percentage of the 89th district that is represented by each of the towns (Bethany, Cheshire & Prospect) is approximately 25%, 36% & 38%, respectively.

So why am I throwing my hat in the ring? Well, with the cost of living and taxes in CT going out of control, I felt the need to get more involved. But for more information on how this race may be shaping up, check out the Meriden paper (http://www.record-journal.com/articles/2006/04/04/news/news06.txt, by Caroline Porter) or see (http://www.cheshireherald.com/NC/0/317.html, by Kristen Malinowski) in the Cheshire Herald.

I certainly think August 8th (CT primary day) could be an interesting day. I'm not sure if the DeStefano/Malloy battle is headed all the way to Aug 8, but I'm pretty sure the Lamont/Lieberman rumble is headed there. And with our incumbent Senator concerned about getting his party's nomination, I imagine even the most apolitical Nutmeggers are going to be aware that some sort of election is going on that day. I can only imagine the amount of radio and TV ads that are going to be purchased and aired leading up to that day.

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District (and State Rep. Candidate)
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

No comments: