Friday, May 26, 2006

Memorial Day Weekend Open Forum

"Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service." Here is some interesting background on our day of remembrance. As well, my dad has a nice letter in the Herald this week. And for anyone who doesn't know, he's the person who has been organizing Cheshire's Memorial Day concert for years. And he does it for one simple reason, he cares about those who have served, and are serving, America. And my dad doesn't want anyone to forget them and what they did, and are doing, for us. He never looks for credit, but I think this is perfect opportunity to give him credit. (As well, Ernie Dipietro, the head of the American Legion, does a great deal for veterans in town.)

Other happenings...

Fuel Cells (Brian Wallheimer, Norwich Bulletin) are getting big in CT. Even Cheshire is moving forward with this alternative form of energy (Kristen Malinowski, Cheshire Herald).

Bethany will be having its annual parade/carnival in two weeks. (Amity Observer)... Cheshire's annual Memorial Day Parade is this Sunday at 1pm (I think). It starts at the police station and ends at the high school.

With respect to clean energy and the 20% by 2010 initiative, if you're curious to see how local towns stack up against the rest of the state, Bethany, Cheshire and Prospect are listed here.

There is going to be a public hearing on the pool (Lauresha Xhihani, Waterbury Rep-Am) on June 13. The idea is to appropriate more money. I think most people already know that I don't want to spend anymore money on the pool. So I'm wondering if it's possible to not appropriate this money, then pay the already-incurred bills through next year's budget? And if we can't use the pool for all of next year, then we can't use it. The pool simply costs too much money. And the fuel cells aren't supposed to be in place (and saving money) until Fall '07, 18 months away.

The Cheshire Republican Town Committee met last night. Governor Jodi Rell and Congresswoman Nancy Johnson both had representatives attend the meeting. The RTC then got into a rather interesting discussion about the town and the party. I certainly enjoyed it. It was one of the more lively discussions in which I've participated since I began to get involved back in 1998... upon my return from Vietnam.

Housing costs in CT are high and people are talking about it. As I've said before, the cost of living and taxes are driving people out of Connecticut.

I haven't seen anything online, but I've seen several articles written about the use of Channel 14... a topic of discussion at Tuesday's Council meeting. As I said during the meeting, I'd just like to see increased use of the Government Channel. Increasing public awareness of the issues and views of elected officials is a good thing. And while not too many people come to town meetings, it's amazing how many people consistently tell me that they watch Channel 14... even if only while "clicking thru."

I've set up a meeting on the Route 42 reconstruction project. The meeting is to include "interested stakeholders." (DPW, DOT, residents and, hopefully, some elected officials) It's set for Wednesday June 14. I'm hoping to find a way to expedite the process.

Tim White
State Representative candidate (R-89)
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re: Your Dad and Memorial Day....I couldn't have put it much better than you did, Tim. Your Dad does a tremondous job honoring those that have served and those that are still serving our country! I admire all his efforts on trying to make the youth in our schools more aware of how lucky they are and how much they owe a debt of gratitude to all servicemen and women. His letter in the Herald on proper respect for the flag was also great.
I enjoyed watching his presentation and discussion w/the students at Dodd about the constitution, and also the past shows he's done up at the senior center with the veterans. He and Mr. DiPietro should be commended for all that they do. And as for the veterans on this Memorial Day, all servicemen and women, especially the ones that have made the ultimate sacrifice - We shall never forget you.
Freedom is not free.