Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Improving Communication

I woke up this morning and went through my usual routine of checking the local newspapers' online editions. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the Cheshire article in the Meriden paper. The topic was improving communication. (http://www.record-journal.com/articles/2006/02/07/news/news10.txt) And that's precisely what I was thinking about last night.

On January 24, the Council supported a resolution that institutionalized a working relationship between the Energy Commission and the Public Building Commission. I haven’t seen this motion mentioned in any of the local press (PLEASE SEE BELOW) and believe I understand why. It doesn’t have much immediate impact. But down the road, I believe this small motion could have significant benefits for the town.

The motion was simple. The working relationship between the Energy Commission and the PBC has been less-than-wonderful. For that reason, the Council needed to act to institutionalize a working relationship. Hopefully the Council will not need to formally act in a similar capacity with the commissions mentioned in today’s Meriden newspaper.

As I mentioned during the council discussion on this topic, I don’t think it really makes a difference if it’s a working relationship between two government agencies or an interpersonal relationship between two individuals, just about all of us could benefit from taking a bit of time to thoughtfully consider how we can better communicate. Too often, difficulties arise in all sorts of relationships because of a communication breakdown that could have been avoided.

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

Whoops... I spoke too soon. I have to give props to the crack reporter from The Cheshire Herald, Kristen Malinowski. She did pick up on this story. Thanks Kristen.

No comments: