Monday, February 27, 2006

The Barn

Boy... have I been hearing it about this one lately. Certainly doesn't seem as though people are really happy about this. And I can understand why. Not only is the idea to spend $400,000 to fix an "historic" barn (I was told it was built in 1938... and that was attributed to about the most reliable source you could imagine.), but to first spend $30,000 on a consultant. I can't imagine the argument that persuades me to support that kind of spending on this barn. I think we've still got improvements we could make to the pool. And from what I understand, we've got major issues with the heating equipment in our schools.

Furthermore, it's probably an argument that is going to be hard-pressed to find serious support on the Council. But that's strictly a guess on my part. Anyone out in the blogosphere agree or disagree with me?

In fairness though, I think this may have been driven by town staff who were simply trying to take initiative. And I appreciate that. But I also appreciate the Council playing its role and saying "No. This is not a priority."

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

2 comments:

AB said...

Awfully hard to justify or support nearly half a million dollars to restore an old barn. And for what purpose? I think we can find a better use of the money.

Anonymous said...

The Barn, the Pool, the Senior Center, what is next?. The barn has zero historical value, it is only about 70 years old. The first item that needs to be defined ios what the Town will do with the property. Did anyone ever look into the mines and their impact on the land use?

figure out what we need the property for, first, then develop a plan for it. In any case, thinking of restoring an old barn loaded with contamination is foolishness. Let the Fire Dept use it for practice, clean up the land and then construct a new metal building with what we need. Better be careful, this is a common sense approach and maybe will not be received well in this here Town.