Sunday, November 18, 2007

Your (CT-5) vote matters!

Bridgeport’s CT Post ran this article on our Congressman, Chris Murphy. I think it's a nice article, but I think Chris may have gotten one thing wrong. He said "Obviously, I know I am a perpetual target. This seat was held by Republicans for 24 years." Well, that would be true if he's talking about the CT-6, but not the fightin' fifth!

Cheshire and the CT-5 were represented by Democratic Congressman Jim Maloney from 1996-2002 before being defeated by Nancy Johnson after redistricting... I just wanted to point out that CT-5 is one of the most evenly divided “swing” districts in the entire country… and we live in it… so your vote does matter! Heck, I think it was 1998 when Jim Maloney beat Mark Nielsen with a plurality of the vote and the Libertarian candidate getting 1500 votes… making a majority unattainable by either the R or D. So remember... if you live in the CT-5... your vote does matter!

I don't yet know with certainty who will be opposing Murphy. But on the other side of the aisle, there is one declared GOP candidate... Dave Cappiello… a state senator from Danbury... and the Bartolis will be holding a fundraiser for him in the near future... details to come.

Tim White

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim, This question relates to the new voting machines that were used in the election. Do you know if, since it's a new machine counting the votes, there's a check done to compare the number of ballots to the numbers shown on each machine? With the problems that were in the news with East Haven, I wondered if there's an automatic check of accuracy with these new machines. When I voted, I didn't notice the number on the machine go up one (maybe I just missed it). I'm not saying there's any major errors but there actually shouldn't be any errors.

Tim White said...

my understanding is that 10% of all voting precincts are being recounted by hand. And I assume that if there are material errors, it'll be very public.

Anonymous said...

I expect Congressman Murphy was referring to the fact that his opponent, Nancy Johnson, had been serving for 24 years before she was defeated.

Tim White said...

agreed. That's why I mention CT-6.