Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Council Meeting 5/23

Fuel cells passed! I was pretty excited about that. And although there are still more points in the process where (I believe) the Council will need to vote, there is clearly support (even if tepid) among the nine members of the Council. My reasons for supporting the fuel cell project are:

1) we reduce spending on the pool (although not consumption, which is also very important); and
2) Connecticut and America must begin to use alternative forms of energy.

The Council discussed some other items, but one really stuck out in my mind... calling for a public hearing for a special appropriation for the pool. The number according to the Waterbury paper is another $233,000. (Although this appropriation is more "after the fact"... the money will pretty much already have been spent by the time we have the public hearing and, presumably, appropriate the money.) I certainly am looking forward to hearing comments from the public on this item. At least though we're moving forward on the fuel cells and trying to save money when it comes to the pool.

And here's a link to the fuel cell article (by Kristen Malinowski) that ran in the Cheshire Herald a couple of weeks ago. And also a link to the fuel cell article (by Lauresha Xihanhi) that ran in the Waterbury Republican American a week or so ago. (By the way, anyone happen to understand the juncture of copyright law and the internet? I'm assuming that links are legal, but am curious how far one can go with respect to copying something... even if proper credit is given.)

Tim White
Town Council, 4th District
TimWhite98@yahoo.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim is it true that there was a fight in the parking lot after the meeting? If so who was started it and why? What could be gained by such a fight? What issues could have caused it? I heard that the Republicans attack the Dems. where you part of the attack? Don't you expect your peers to behave better? I would like to know your feelings.

Anonymous said...

Is it ture?

Tim White said...

I wasn't there. I don't know. To be perfectly frank, I just remember the meeting seeming to go on for too long. So when it was over, I went straight to my car, started her up and looked at the clock. It was 11:41pm. And all I could think was... why isn't everyone running home right now? It's so late already. And I wanted to post a blog update while the meeting was still fresh in mind.

So again, I wasn't there. And I can't answer your questions.

Anonymous said...

Links are permitted.

The Fair Use doctrine allows for copying small amounts of relevant text from copyrighted material. There's no hard-and-fast guidelines, it's more of a "know it when you see it" thing.

Not a lawyer, planning to become one in a few years.

Tim White said...

Well then... I guess I'm within the law... which I was guessing. But I'm not so sure about a lot of the articles that are out on the web. Not sure how I feel about that... from the perspective of doing a public service, it's good to get information out there. But the law is the law. I figured you couldn't just copy copyrighted material.